12 Minutes Max
Katie Cassady/photo Brigitte Cadieux
12 Minutes Max #42
Friday June 15, 2018 at 8pm
Alejandra Miranda & Juan Villegas
Guidelines and How to Apply
2018-2019 season deadlines
Submission Deadline: Friday September 10, 2018
Showing: Tuesday November 6, 2018
Submission Deadline: Friday November 16, 2018
Showing: Tuesday February 26, 2019
Submission Deadline: Friday January 7, 2019
Showing: Tuesday April 9, 2019
Friday May 31, 2019
12 Minutes Max seeks to foster experimentation and the development of a choreographic idea or work-in-progress, along with critical feedback and community dialogue from a creative community of performers, facilitators, and audience, with a primary focus on the choreographic process from development to presentation. View an outline of the 12 Minutes Max Process: Artist Information
• There will be two research and development modules this season (winter, spring) for which artists can submit ideas and works-in-progress. Works are expected to run for 7-12 minutes at the studio showing.
• A panel of guest facilitators will select up to four artists per module.
• Selected artists will receive up to 16 hours of fully subsidized studio space at Scotiabank Dance Centre to develop their works, with input from the guest curators. Artists may book additional rehearsal hours at regular rates if desired.
• At the end of each research and development module all the artists will share their work first with each other and the curators, and then in an informal studio showing open to the public.
• At the end of the season, the guest facilitators will select a number of works for presentation in a ticketed performance at Scotiabank Dance Centre.
History - The original 12 Minutes Max concept was pioneered by On the Boards in Seattle where it has been running since 1979. In 1994 The Dance Centre launched a Vancouver edition which for over fifteen years provided an opportunity for artists to show eclectic and innovative new works that ran under twelve minutes. The program was relaunched in its current format in 2014.
• Applicants must be Full Artist or Company members of The Dance Centre.
• The applicant must be the author and primary creator of the work/idea.
• Proposed works must be in the early stages of development: finished works are not eligible.
• This program is designed primarily for emerging artists: mid-career/established artists may apply if they can demonstrate that they are experimenting with new directions.
• All choreographic styles are welcome.
• Emerging artists must have completed a recognized professional dance training program, or the equivalent.
Tips on Applying:
Artists should provide
• A brief biography/artist profile
• Short bios of collaborators, if any
• A SHORT description (500 words max) of the research/idea you are interested in working on during 12 Minutes Max.
Artists: Immigrant Lessons (Kevin Fraser, Alyssa Amarshi), Olivia Shaffer, Damarise Ste Marie, Sujit Vaidya
Studio showing: Tuesday February 20, 2018 at 6pm
Artists: Katie Cassady - Lisa Hostman - Isabelle Kirouac - Sophie Maguire - Jhoely Triana - Juan Villegas
Studio showing: Tuesday April 24, 2018 at 6pm
Facilitators: Jo Leslie and Serge Bennathan
Performance: 12 Minutes Max #41 Friday June 16, 2017
Artists: Jenn Edwards, Molly McDermott, Liliane Moussa, Monica Shah, Marissa Wong.
Studio Showing: Tuesday April 11, 2017 at 6pm
Artists: Carolina Bergonzoni, Jenn Edwards, Greer Whillans
Studio Showing: Tuesday February 7, 2017 at 6pm
Artists: Gail Lotenberg, Liliane Moussa, Monica Shah
Studio Showing: Tuesday November 29, 2016 at 6pm
Artists: Linda Hayes, Molly McDermott, Marissa Wong
Season curators: Jo Leslie and Chick Snipper
Performance: 12 Minutes Max #40 Friday June 3, 2016
Artists: Akeisha de Baat + Nathan Todd, Katie Devries + Kimberly Stevenson, Iris Lau, Bevin Poole, Ahalya Satkunaratnam
Artists: Akeisha de Baat & Nathan Todd, Bevin Poole, Ahalya Satkunaratnam, Clare Twiddy
Studio showing: Tuesday April 19, 2016 at 6pm
Artists: Daelik & Chick Snipper, Gemma Crowe, Iris Lau
Studio showing: Tuesday February 23, 2016 at 6pm
Artists: Cody Cox, Katie DeVries and Kimberly Stevenson, Mahaila Patterson-O'Brien
Studio showing: Tuesday November 10, 2015 at 6pm
Season curators: Kathryn Ricketts, DD Kugler.
Performance: 12 Minutes Max #39 Friday June 12, 2015
Artists: Con8 Collective - Caitlin Griffin - Naomi Brand - MAYCE - Natalie Tin Yin Gan & Francesca Frewer
Studio showing Wednesday April 1, 2015
Artists: Julianne Chapple - Con8 Collective (Charlotte Newman, Georgina Alpen) - Ziyian Kwan - MAYCE (Robert Azevedo, Antonio Somera, Marisa Gold) with Janelle Reid
Curatorial team: Maiko Bae Yamamoto, Kathryn Ricketts, Kat Single-Dain
Studio showing Wednesday February 25, 2015
Artists: Julia Carr - Dario Dinuzzi - Natalie Tin Yin Gan & Francesca Frewer
Curatorial team: Corey Philley, Kathryn Ricketts, George Sipos
Studio showing Wednesday October 29, 2014
Artists: Naomi Brand, Kara Nolte, Jane Osborne and Daisy Thompson.
Curatorial team: Kat Single-Dain, Corey Philley, George Sipos.
Studio showing Wednesday June 5, 2014
Artists: Michael Kong, Caitlin Griffin, Su Lin Tseng, and Jamee Valin.
Curatorial team: Kathryn Ricketts, Jenifer Papararo, Claire French.