12 Minutes Max
Zahra Shahab/dancers Oksana Hayduk, Alder Sherwood/photo Zahra Shahab
12 Minutes Max seeks to foster experimentation and the development of a choreographic idea or work-in-progress, from the initial stages through to the first public encounter. Artists have access to support and feedback from the facilitators, the opportunity to share the work with their peers in the program, and participate in community dialogues with audiences at public showings.
2019-2020 Schedule and Deadlines
Showing: Tuesday November 5, 2019
Submission deadline: Friday September 6, 2019
Showing: Tuesday February 18, 2020
Submission deadline: Friday October 25, 2019
Showing: Tuesday April 7, 2020
Submission deadline: Friday January 17, 2020
Performance: Friday June 12, 2020
Guidelines and How to Apply
The 12 Minutes Max Process: Artist Information
• There will be three research and development modules this season for which artists can submit ideas and works-in-progress.
• The facilitators will select up to four artists per module.
• Selected artists will receive 16 hours of fully-subsidized studio space at Scotiabank Dance Centre to develop their works, with input from the facilitators. Artists may book additional rehearsal hours at regular rates if desired.
• At the end of each research and development module all the artists will share their work first with each other and the facilitators, and then in an informal studio showing open to the public. Artists are expected to have 7-12 minutes of material to show.
• At the end of the season, the facilitators will identify a selection of the works for further development and the introduction of production elements, leading to a ticketed performance at Scotiabank Dance Centre.
• Applicants must be Full Artist or Company members of The Dance Centre.
• The applicant must be the author and primary creator of the work/idea.
• Proposed works must be in the early stages of development: finished works are not eligible.
• This program is geared towards emerging artists, but is open to any artists who are experimenting with new directions in their practice.
• All dance forms and choreographic styles are welcome.
• Emerging artists must have completed a recognized professional dance training program, or the equivalent.
Tips on Applying:
Artists should provide
• A brief biography/artist profile
• Short bios of collaborators, if any
• A SHORT description (500 words max) of the research/idea you are interested in working on during 12 Minutes Max.
History - The original 12 Minutes Max concept was pioneered by On the Boards in Seattle where it has been running since 1979. In 1994 The Dance Centre launched a Vancouver edition which for over fifteen years provided an opportunity for artists to show eclectic and innovative new works that ran under twelve minutes. The program was relaunched in its current format in 2014.
Performance: 12 Minutes Max #43 Friday May 31, 2019
Artists: Alexa Mardon, Avery Smith, Eowynn Enquist & Isak Enquist, Sapiens Sapiens, Ted Littlemore, Zahra Shahab.
Artists: Megan Hunter - Katherine Vincent - Britta Wirthmüller
Showing: Monday November 26, 2018, 6pm
Artists: Carolina Bergonzoni - Alexa Mardon - Caldonia Walton - Sapiens Sapiens (Lucas Wilson-Bilbro)
Showing: Tuesday February 12, 2019
Artists: Eowynn Enquist - Ted Littlemore - Zahra Shahab - Avery Smith
Showing: Tuesday April 16, 2019
Facilitators: Josh Martin and Lisa Gelley, Co-Artistic Directors, Company 605.
Performance: 12 Minutes Max #42 Friday June 15, 2018
Artists: Katie Cassady, Sophie Maguire, Alejandra Miranda & Juan Villegas, Jhoely Triana, Sujit Vaidya
Artists: Katie Cassady, Lisa Hostman, Isabelle Kirouac, Sophie Maguire, Jhoely Triana, Juan Villegas
Studio showing: Tuesday April 24, 2018 at 6pm
Artists: Immigrant Lessons (Kevin Fraser, Alyssa Amarshi), Olivia Shaffer, Damarise Ste Marie, Sujit Vaidya
Studio showing: Tuesday February 20, 2018 at 6pm
Facilitators: Jo Leslie and Serge Bennathan
Performance: 12 Minutes Max #41 Friday June 16, 2017
Artists: Jenn Edwards, Molly McDermott, Liliane Moussa, Monica Shah, Marissa Wong.
Studio Showing: Tuesday April 11, 2017 at 6pm
Artists: Carolina Bergonzoni, Jenn Edwards, Greer Whillans
Studio Showing: Tuesday February 7, 2017 at 6pm
Artists: Gail Lotenberg, Liliane Moussa, Monica Shah
Studio Showing: Tuesday November 29, 2016 at 6pm
Artists: Linda Hayes, Molly McDermott, Marissa Wong
Season curators: Jo Leslie and Chick Snipper
Performance: 12 Minutes Max #40 Friday June 3, 2016
Artists: Akeisha de Baat + Nathan Todd, Katie Devries + Kimberly Stevenson, Iris Lau, Bevin Poole, Ahalya Satkunaratnam
Artists: Akeisha de Baat & Nathan Todd, Bevin Poole, Ahalya Satkunaratnam, Clare Twiddy
Studio showing: Tuesday April 19, 2016 at 6pm
Artists: Daelik & Chick Snipper, Gemma Crowe, Iris Lau
Studio showing: Tuesday February 23, 2016 at 6pm
Artists: Cody Cox, Katie DeVries and Kimberly Stevenson, Mahaila Patterson-O'Brien
Studio showing: Tuesday November 10, 2015 at 6pm
Season curators: Kathryn Ricketts, DD Kugler.
Performance: 12 Minutes Max #39 Friday June 12, 2015
Artists: Con8 Collective - Caitlin Griffin - Naomi Brand - MAYCE - Natalie Tin Yin Gan & Francesca Frewer
Studio showing Wednesday April 1, 2015
Artists: Julianne Chapple - Con8 Collective (Charlotte Newman, Georgina Alpen) - Ziyian Kwan - MAYCE (Robert Azevedo, Antonio Somera, Marisa Gold) with Janelle Reid
Curatorial team: Maiko Bae Yamamoto, Kathryn Ricketts, Kat Single-Dain
Studio showing Wednesday February 25, 2015
Artists: Julia Carr - Dario Dinuzzi - Natalie Tin Yin Gan & Francesca Frewer
Curatorial team: Corey Philley, Kathryn Ricketts, George Sipos
Studio showing Wednesday October 29, 2014
Artists: Naomi Brand, Kara Nolte, Jane Osborne and Daisy Thompson.
Curatorial team: Kat Single-Dain, Corey Philley, George Sipos.
Studio showing Wednesday June 5, 2014
Artists: Michael Kong, Caitlin Griffin, Su Lin Tseng, and Jamee Valin.
Curatorial team: Kathryn Ricketts, Jenifer Papararo, Claire French.