Studio Rentals: Frequently Asked Questions
Open House: Port-O-Swing Dance School/photo Chris Randle
Who Can Rent Studio Space at Scotiabank Dance Centre?
Anyone can rent space for a wide range of activities but we give priority to professional dance artists and choreographers who are creating and rehearsing works.
How many dance studios are there available for rent?
We have six dance studios plus a performance/production space:
- Birmingham + Kraul & Strate Studios: Marley floor, 1800 sq ft
- Jarislowsky+ Jandali Studios: Marley floors, 1400 sq ft
- Marcuse Studio: wood floor, 800 sq ft
- Zagar Studio: wood floor, 630 sq feet
- Faris Family Studio: black box performance/production space
Full studio details and photos
All studios are wheelchair-accessible with the exception of the Jandali and the Kraul & Strate studios on level 4.
When Can I Rent Studios?
- Scotiabank Dance Centre is open Monday-Friday, 9am-10pm.
- Saturdays and Sundays: hours vary depending on the level of rental demand.
- The building is closed on statutory holidays.
- Scotiabank Dance Centre is open for reduced hours over the Christmas/New Year period.
How Do I Make a Booking?
- Email studiorentals[at]thedancecentre[dot]ca or call 604.660.6400 for studio availability.
- Visit us in person: main lobby, venue services desk
- First time renters receive a Rental Agreement which must be signed and returned prior to booking any studio. This outlines the rules and guidelines for booking studio space.
- A contract must be signed for every studio booking. This specifies the dates and cost of each rental and must be signed and returned within 3 days, along with payment, in order to secure the booking.
What is the Cancellation Policy?
Contracts must be signed and payment made within 3 days of booking, or the booking will be released.
All cancellations and changes must be made in writing
- No fee if cancellation of a booking is made more than 3 months prior to the event
- 25% cancellation fee if cancellation is made less than 3 months but more than 30 days prior to the event
- 100% cancellation fee if cancellation is made less than 30 days prior to the booking including “no-shows”
Change fees: the first change to a contract is free; a $15 fee will apply to each subsequent change request.
Do Renters Need to have Insurance?
- Yes! Insurance is a requirement of renting at Scotiabank Dance Centre.
- $5 million in General Liability Insurance listing The Dance Foundation and The VDC Dance Centre Society as additional insured.
- If this proof is not provided, we are able to offer coverage for $5 for one day or $45 for 6 months: this covers up to 25 people and applies to all studios except the Faris Family Studio.
Do’s and Don’ts!!!
- No street shoes are permitted in the studios
- Renters must abide by their rental times. No sneaking in early or running late!
- If your group is the last of the day, 15 minutes are permitted to exit the building before it is locked for the evening
- No food or drink is permitted in the studios, except for water
- No oils, incense or candles
- Soft-soled shoes only, or non-marking running shoes, on the Marley floors
- No animals are permitted inside Scotiabank Dance Centre, with the exception of guide dogs