12 Minutes Max
Ahalya Satkunaratnam/photo Bill Christiansen
Studio Showing: Tuesday November 29, 2016 at 6pm
Artists: Linda Hayes, Molly McDermott, Marissa Wong
Submission Deadline: Monday November 14, 2016
Studio Showing: Tuesday February 7, 2017 at 6pm
Submission Deadline: Monday January 23, 2017
Studio Showing: Tuesday April 11, 2017 at 6pm
Performance: Friday June 16, 2017
Season curators: Jo Leslie and Chick Snipper
Artists, please read the guidelines and criteria below before applying.
Guidelines and How to Apply
The original 12 Minutes Max concept was pioneered by On the Boards in Seattle where it has been running since 1979. In 1994 The Dance Centre launched a Vancouver edition which for over fifteen years provided an opportunity for artists to show eclectic and innovative new works that ran under twelve minutes. Relaunched in 2014, the current 12MM format seeks to foster experimentation and the development of new work, along with critical feedback and community dialogue.
• There will be three opportunities per season (fall, winter, spring: submission deadlines tba) for artists to submit dance and movement-based works in development running between 7 and 12 minutes.
• A panel of guest curators will select up to four artists per module.
• Selected artists will receive up to 16 hours of fully subsidized studio space at Scotiabank Dance Centre to develop their works, with input from the guest curators. Additional hours may be available at a special discount, if required (subject to availability).
• At the end of each research and development module all the artists will share their work first with each other and the curators, and then in an informal studio showing open to the public.
• At the end of the season, the guest curators will select a number of works for presentation in a ticketed performance at Scotiabank Dance Centre.
The 12 Minutes Max Process: Artist Information
• Applicants must be Full Artist or Company members of The Dance Centre.
• The applicant must be the author and primary creator of the work.
• Proposed works must be in the early stages of development: finished works are not eligible.
• Proposed works must run between 7 and 12 minutes when completed.
• This program is designed primarily for emerging artists: mid-career/established artists may apply if they can demonstrate that they are experimenting with new directions.
• Emerging artists must have completed a recognized professional dance training program, or the equivalent.
Performance: 12 Minutes Max #40 Friday June 3, 2016
Artists: Akeisha de Baat + Nathan Todd, Katie Devries + Kimberly Stevenson, Iris Lau, Bevin Poole, Ahalya Satkunaratnam
Artists: Akeisha de Baat & Nathan Todd, Bevin Poole, Ahalya Satkunaratnam, Clare Twiddy
Studio showing: Tuesday April 19, 2016 at 6pm
Artists: Daelik & Chick Snipper, Gemma Crowe, Iris Lau
Studio showing: Tuesday February 23, 2016 at 6pm
Artists: Cody Cox, Katie DeVries and Kimberly Stevenson, Mahaila Patterson-O'Brien
Studio showing: Tuesday November 10, 2015 at 6pm
Season curators: Kathryn Ricketts, DD Kugler.
Performance: 12 Minutes Max #39 Friday June 12, 2015
Artists: Con8 Collective - Caitlin Griffin - Naomi Brand - MAYCE - Natalie Tin Yin Gan & Francesca Frewer
Studio showing Wednesday April 1, 2015
Artists: Julianne Chapple - Con8 Collective (Charlotte Newman, Georgina Alpen) - Ziyian Kwan - MAYCE (Robert Azevedo, Antonio Somera, Marisa Gold) with Janelle Reid
Curatorial team: Maiko Bae Yamamoto, Kathryn Ricketts, Kat Single-Dain
Studio showing Wednesday February 25, 2015
Artists: Julia Carr - Dario Dinuzzi - Natalie Tin Yin Gan & Francesca Frewer
Curatorial team: Corey Philley, Kathryn Ricketts, George Sipos
Studio showing Wednesday October 29, 2014
Artists: Naomi Brand, Kara Nolte, Jane Osborne and Daisy Thompson.
Curatorial team: Kat Single-Dain, Corey Philley, George Sipos.
Studio showing Wednesday June 5, 2014
Artists: Michael Kong, Caitlin Griffin, Su Lin Tseng, and Jamee Valin.
Curatorial team: Kathryn Ricketts, Jenifer Papararo, Claire French.